It is alpha amino gamma ureidovaleric acid. It is created from ornithine and takes part in the synthesis of urea. It donates one of its nitrogen part for the synthesis of urea. Arginine is synthesized from citrulline in attendance of aspartic acid, ATP and Mg ++ Citrulline is established in high concentration in the liver. Citrulline is not a component of any main proteins or enzymes.
In the mitochondria, the 'power house' of cells, ammonia mixed with carbon dioxide and ornithine to create citrulline. Citrulline is then transported out of the mitochondria into the cytoplasm where it is then changed to yet another amino acid called arginine. Thus citrulline is necessary to detoxify and take away ammonia from muscle and liver cells.
Citrulline is a luxury amino acid and plays a very important role in nitrogen stability and metabolic process. Although not a component of most proteins in the body, citrulline is found in a number of specialized proteins in the hair, skin and neural cells. It is first and foremost synthesized from glutamine in the intestines but is also found naturally in trace amounts in some foods.
Citrulline supplied by the diet is efficiently wrapped up from the stomach and enters the blood via the major vein draining the digestive system that empties into the liver. A large amount of it bypasses uptake in the liver and is then circulated for allocation to the kidneys, brain, muscle and other tissues for conversion to arginine.
Sources of citrulline
Rich sources of citrulline are milk, legumes, meat, and fish.
Benefits of citrulline
* The amino acid citrulline is necessary to detoxify the liver from ammonia, which is a misuse product of the body from oxidation.
* Citrulline promotes power (energy) and assist with the immune system. This unusual amino acid is created in the urea cycle by the addition of carbon dioxide and ammonia to ornithine.
* It is then combine with aspartic acid to form arginosuccinic acid, which afterward is metabolized into the amino acid arginine.
* It helps in the creation of power (energy) and thus defends the muscles from fatigue.
* It also plays a very important role in maintaining the acid base stability in the body.
Deficiency symptoms of citrulline
Deficiency of citrulline may result in fatigue and weakness of the muscles.
Daily necessity is given in the suggested daily allowance, but be aware that this dosage is the least that you need per day, toward off serious deficiency of this particular nutrient. In the therapeutic use of this nutrient, the dosage is typically improved significantly, but the toxicity level must be remembered.